Mission and Values
Mission Statement of the Wilmette Institute (2019)
An agency of the National Spiritual Assembly
of the Bahá’ís of the United States
The Wilmette Institute is a Bahá’í-inspired educational institution offering courses in Bahá’í history and texts, and social transformation. It serves learners of diverse backgrounds and ages, and facilitates consultation, action, and reflection for personal and collective transformation toward the common good.
Our Guiding Principles
- The nobility of human beings propels people toward building an ever-advancing civilization.
- Both science and religion are used to independently investigate reality.
- Interrelated problems require a holistic approach for interdisciplinary solutions.
- Scholarship does not begin and end with words but combines theory and praxis in study, consultation, action and reflection.
- Sustainable social change requires the development of human capacity, in order that people become the protagonists of their own material and spiritual development.
- Universal peace and justice can be realized through a planetary consciousness of the oneness of humanity and the interconnectedness of the earth and all its inhabitants.